Importing Organisation Records
Import Process Overview
The import process consists of five steps:
1. Copy the information to be imported to the Windows Clipboard.
2. Paste the information into the SmartSimple Import Window from the Clipboard.
3. Map the fields in the pasted data to the fields in the organisation, contact or activity record.
4. Validate the information mapping before uploading.
5. Upload the data to SmartSimple.
If you need to split contact information this technique is repeated – once for the organisation data, and once for the contact data.
If you have made a mistake you can use the undo feature to delete all the records of a previous upload.
Each step of this process is described in detail below.
Importing Organization Records
This exercise will use an MS-Excel spreadsheet containing additional head office employees and the associated department. Since there is both “organization” and “people” information in this data, this exercise will demonstrate the technique required to split this type of file.
At the end of the process there will be five new departments and twenty new people.
1. Launch Microsoft Excel.
2. Open the file Accounts and Contacts.xls.
3. Select the cells A2 to D22.
4. Copy the selected test by using Control + C on Windows, or right-click and select Copy.
5. Switch back to SmartSimple.
Since this is an internal organization list, you will use the Organization Hierarchy.
6. Click the 9-square menu icon on the top right of your page.
7. Under the Organizations heading, click Organization Hierarchy.
8. Click the Root Organization link.
These departments will be inserted under the root organization. The root organization is the first company listed. Once selected, the details of the root organization are displayed.
9. Click on the New button.
8. Choose the Import Branches button.
- If you clicked the Import Organizations button you will load this information as a set of external accounts.
- Step 1 of the Import Wizard is displayed.
- If any organization categories are established in the instance, they will appear at the top of the Import Wizard.
9. Click the mouse in the text box.
10. Click Control + V, or right-click and Paste.
The data is added to the text box.
11. Press Control + Home to see the start of the pasted data.
This data contains the field names and is delimited by tab.
12. Set the Column Delimiter to Tab.
13. Click the First row contains field names check box.
14. Click the Analyze button.
The analyzed data is displayed.
15. Map the first field to the Company Name field.
If you were importing external accounts you would also need to set the account owner to the correct manager.
16. Click the Parse Branch button.
You are prompted to continue with the current owner and category.
17. Click the YES button.
The analyzed data is displayed.
Many of these branch records appear as duplicates because the department is repeated for each person.
- The duplicate departments are not marked for uploading, so only one of each department will be created.
- When you upload the same data into the contact table, the contacts will be associated with the correct department.
18. Click the Upload button.
The department records are uploaded.
19. To ensure the branches were added, return to the Organization Hierarchy from the 9-square menu and look under the Root Organization. Your new internal branches should be listed.
Undoing an Upload
If your records were uploaded in error, you can undo the upload by looking to the menu on the left hand side. Select Sub-Branch, or the appropriate name associated on your instance for internal organizations.
Select the newly added records from the list and select the trash can icon at the top to delete.
Importing User Data
Next you will use the same data but this time use the data to create the users. The system will use the department name in this data to determine the correct department to associate with each user. Since these are internal people you need to use the internal menu of the Organization Hierarchy.
1. If you are not in the Organisation Hierarchy view – select the 9-square menu icon on the top right of your screen. Under Organizations, select Organization Hierarchy. The internal records are listed on the first tab.
2. Click the root organization name.
The root organization details are displayed.
3. Click the '"New'" button, then select Import Staff.
Step 1 of the User Import Wizard is displayed.
Unless you have copied some other data to the clipboard, the same data is available to be pasted.
4. Paste the data into the Import Wizard.
5. Set the Role to Employee, or another relevant role that is available.
- If a role you would like is unavailable, learn how to create user roles.
6. Set the Column Delimiter to Tab.
7. Check First Row Contains Field Names.
7. Click the Analyze button.
8. A pop-up will appear to confirm your action. Select the YES button.
9. The analyzed data of your imported records will appear. At this stage, you have the opportunity to deselect any employees you do not wish to add or edit their information such as their email addresses. At the bottom of the screen, you will see different methods to add users to the SmartSimple instance. Select one, then click Upload.
10. You will see your successfully imported contact records in a list.
10. To ensure that your internal contact records have been added, return to the Organization Hierarchy menu. By clicking the + button next to an internal organization, the associated contacts will appear.
11. If you did not previously, you may also activate users here by pressing on the lock icon next to their names. This will bring you to their profile, where you may activate them by selecting the key icon on the top right of their page.