The SmartSimple platform supports advanced document type fields used to create document management functionality in any context such an application, contact or organisation. The following field types support document management functionality:
- Web Page View field - used to create documents within the system.
- Single File and Multiple Files fields - used to store documents in the related entity.
- MS Word Merge field - used to generate a MS Word document that includes underlying information stored within SmartSimple. The resultant document can be edited and automatically uploaded to a specified Single File or Multiple Files field on the original entity within SmartSimple.
Documents are always connected to some “higher level” entity such as a Universal Tracking Application entity, organizational or contact type records. The characteristics of these document fields are as follows:
This field type is used to create documents based on underlying fields, documents can be:
- Converted to PDF.
- Password Protected.
- Printed and Saved locally.
- Attached to emails and workflow steps.
- Saved into Multiple File fields.
This field type is used to store documents in the related entity.
- The documents to be stored can be dynamically created from Web Page View Fields.
- Uploaded into the field.
- Uploaded using the SmartSimple API.
This field type support the following attributes:
- Single File or Multiple Files stored in a single field.
- Version control.
- Special Permission required deleting file.
- Keyword searching for all document types such as PDF, MS Word, MS Excel etc.
- On-Line file editing and saving of files (required SmartSimple Editing Plug-Ins for Microsoft Office).
- Role-based file view, modify and delete permissions (as with all other field types).
- This Custom Field type provides the ability to dynamically create an MS Word document from underlying SmartSimple data.
- The MS Word document can also include tables that will list details of Level 2 or Level 3 activities associated with a given record.
- The SmartDoc Template also allows you to easily upload the resulting MS Word document back to SmartSimple to be stored in a specified Single or Multiple file field.