We strongly recommend SMTP Relay to your company's internal SMTP server. It is by far the best way to avoid your emails being misidentified as spam.
This approach will help prevent e-mail sent from SmartSimple being designated as Spam. E-mails will originate from the server registered to your company's e-mail domain, and thus match the sender address. See the following Wiki article for further information:
The SMTP Settings section allows an organization to designate a specific SMTP server as the server to be used when transmitting email messages. The settings are accessed through the Configuration, Global Settings page (last section at the bottom of the page).
The configuration settings are:
- SMTP Server Name - the address of the SMTP server e.g. smtp.samplecompany.com.
- SMTP User Name - a username associated with the SMTP server.
- SMTP Password - the password for this username.
- SMTP Port - the port to connect to on the destination server (default=25).
- SMTP Use TLS - select this checkbox to enable encryption of the connection.
Note: Your company's SMTP server may need to be configured to accept e-mail relayed from SmartSimple.
Please contact your internal SMTP server administrator with regard to this. The User Name and Password may or may not be required depending on how the relay is configured within your company's email system.
Unless you are on a dedicated server, SmartSimple e-mail will originate from:
Server IP address smartsimple.com 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 (mail might originate from one of these addresses) smartsimple.ca 126.96.36.199 smartsimple.biz 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206 (mail might originate from one of these addresses) smartsimple2.biz 220.127.116.11 smartsimple4.biz 18.104.22.168 smartsimple.ie 22.214.171.124 smartsimple.us 126.96.36.199 smartsimpleuk.com 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206 (mail might originate from one of these addresses) smartsimple.com.au 220.127.116.11
Once set, these values will override the use of the built-in SMTP server and ALL emails (other than Forgot Password see below) will be channelled through the designated server. This will affect the following system areas:
- Emails generated by workflows.
- Emails generated by the Email Broadcast application.
- Emails generated by requests for passwords and sign-up pages.
- Emails generated within the Applicant Tracking system.
Individual users wishing to send email using their organisation's SMTP server must still set up their authentication details using the Email Account settings feature.
- When using the Forgot Password link on the Login Screen the e-mail containing the password will not be relayed via your specified SMTP server. Forgot password e-mails are always sent by the built-in SmartSimple SMTP service.
- For security reasons unless a user has logged into your SmartSimple instance the configured SMTP relay settings are not accessible. Consequently Forgot Password e-mails cannot be relayed from that server.
- Because these Forgot Password e-mails do not originate from your company's e-mail server, if the return address specified on the User Email Templates page is an address from your domain it may be rejected by your server. You may need to configure your company's e-mail server accordingly, or use a different domain as the from address.